Outback Steakhouse Bloomin Onion Recipe
If you have ever been to the Outback Steakhouse then you have probably seen the very hard to miss bloomin onion appetizer.
This is a favorite at the restaurant and it sells like hot cakes. I came across this photo on facebook and was determined to find a home recipe. The real key to making this good is having a great dipping sauce recipe. I think I found it!
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces beer
- 4 vidalia onions (I use walla wallas here in Calgary)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Creamy Chili sauce
- 1 pint mayonnaise
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1/2 cup tomato chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Outback Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons creamed horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- Alrighty-forthe seasoned flour
- Combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne-mix well.
- Creamychili sauce
- combine mayo, sour cream, chili sauce and cayenne-mix well.
- Blend everything together well and let sit for 2 hours-refidgerated- or overnight.
- Andfor the batter
- Mix cornstarch, flour and seasonings until well blended.
- Add beer and mix well.
- Cut about 3/4 inch off top of onion and peel.
- Cut into onion 12-16 vertical wedges but do not cut through bottom root end.
- Remove about 1 inch of petals from center of onion (You can place the cut onions in cold water for a few hours to help “open” them up — just make sure that you drain them well).
- Dip in seasoned flour and gently shake to remove excess.
- Seperate peatls to coat thoroughly with batter.
- Gently place in a fryer basket and deep fry at 375-400 for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Turn over and fry 1 1/2 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place onion upright in a shallow bowl and remove center core with a circular cutter or apple corer.
- Serve hot with chili sauce and dipping sauce.