Flag Day (and many other American holidays, such as Memorial Day and Independence Day, to name a few) is an opportune time for her to show her patriotism and passion for preparing festive foods, such as this flag cake (also known as gelatin poke cake). What a sweet salute to the Stars and Stripes!
American Flag Cake for Memorial Day/4th of July
June 14: Flag Day (U.S.A.)
American Flag Cake
(Gelatin Poke Cake)
For the gelatin poke cake
- 1 18. 25-ounce boxed white cake mix (we used Duncan Hines brand)
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites (we used Just Whites brand pasteurized egg whites)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3-ounce box of blueberry/raspberry/strawberry gelatin (we used Jell-O brand Berry Blue flavor)
- ½ cup cold water
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch rectangle cake pan. In a large bowl, combine the white cake mix, water, oil and egg whites. Blend until the batter is smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Poke holes with a fork or end of a chopstick about 1-inch apart. In a medium bowl, pour the boilling water over the gelatin. Stir until well dissolved, about two minutes. Mix in the cold water. Pour the gelatin over the top of the cake. Refrigerate at least three hours. Carefully invert the cake on a rectangle cake board or plate.
For the frosting and decorations
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 – 1 ½ cups raspberries (or strawberries)
- In a large bowl, whip the cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Arrange the berries to resemble an American flag pattern. Refrigerate until ready to slice and serve.