Oh how I love Cracker Barrel’s Apple Dumpling. What’s so awesome about this dessert is that you’re getting an insane amount of crust at every level without sacrificing a hearty and amazing apple filling. And then it’s topped off by vanilla ice cream and a caramel drizzle??? Good grief, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
But you know at midnight in winter with lots of snow .. I crave eating this delicious dessert .. then I decided to throw a few ingredients together that I thought would be found in Cracker Barrel’s pie. To my surprise, it worked! I’m definitely not a baker but I think having a prepared crust and a simple apple filling made it easy for me to tap into the baker within me. You’ll note that I used only half of an apple. This recipe is just enough for one, maybe two people.
What you’ll need:
- ½ granny smith apple
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 3 tbs light brown sugar
- 2 tbs flour
- 1+ tbs butter
- 1 tbs rolled oats
- You’ll only be using ½ of a medium sized apple. Thinly slice the apple lengthwise and then cut each piece into multiple triangular pieces.
- Next add lemon juice to the apples then cornstarch, cinnamon, and sugars. Set aside.
- Line a small to medium sized ramekin with the prepared pie crust.
- Prepare the topping. Mix sugar, flour, butter and rolled oats in a separate dish. Put apples into ramekin with the crust.
- Add the topping to the apples.
- Bake pie in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- Once done, immediately top with ice cream and any available caramel drizzle.