Hand pies are so much fun. You just pick up your own personal mini-pie and munch away. No sharing! And when those flaky pies are filled with cinnamon spiced apples and gooey salted caramel, you won’t want to share.
Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 (14 1/8 ounce) boxes store-bought roll out refrigerated pie crusts ( 2 rolls)
- 1 cup apple pie filling-chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar- cinnamon
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce
- 1 egg -lightly beaten
- 1 large flake sea salt
- egg wash ( 1 egg whisked with 1 Tablespoon water)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a well-floured surface. Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter or glass, cut out as many circles as possible. Using a rolling-pin, roll out the scraps and continue cutting out circles until you run out of dough.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the apple filling into the center of half of the pie circles. Make sure to leave enough of a border around the filling to seal them shut. Do not overfill.
- Top the apple filling with a teaspoon caramel sauce
- Brush around the edges of the dough with a finger dipped in egg wash.
- Place a second dough circle on top each filled circle then use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Brush each pie with the egg wash and cut two vents on the top of each pie with a sharp knife. Sprinkle the pies with sugar- cinnamon and place on prepared sheet pan.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake the pies for 10 minutes or until they’re golden brown. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving; filling is hot.