These taquitos are filled with a combination of zesty Mexican spices, lean cooked chicken, flavorful seasonings — not to mention gooey, melted cheese and their hallmark savory cream cheese base, which gives the filling an unbelievably creamy taste. Depending on how full you fill your tortillas, should yield about 12 to 16 taquitos, if using 6-inch tortillas. The dish takes about an hour to complete.
- ⅓ cup (3 ounces) cream cheese
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic, or garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cups grated pepperjack or plain jack cheese
- small flour or corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- cooking spray or olive oil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir.
- Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic.
- Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions.
- Add chicken and cheese and combine well.
- You can prepare up to this step ahead of time.
- Just keep the mixture in the fridge.
Note: If using corn tortillas, work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave, wrapped in damp paper towels until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. Usually 20-30 seconds will do it. If using flour tortillas straight from the fridge, it helps to warm them in the microwave so they’re easier to roll.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1 inch from the edges.
- Roll up tortillas and place seam down on a baking sheet, not touching one another.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray, or lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Dip in sour cream.