This is a great meal that suits both grown ups and children. It is Italian meatballs in tomato sauce, baked in the oven
with homemade tomato sauce and if you want you can also add topped mozzarella cheese.
Here are a lot of flavor, lots of fresh oregano in the meatballs, which I made quite large. You can serve them with whatever shapes of pasta. Taste great. Enjoy your weekend!
Baked Oregano Meatballs
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 can (ca 1 lbs) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- (if you want you can add 5 oz grated mozzarella cheese)
- Place ground beef, oregano, salt and pepper, parmesan, egg, and garlic in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Roll into tablespoonfull meatballs, put on a plate covered with a little oil and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
Make the tomato sauce by heating up the oil in a saucepan. Add carrot, garlic and onion and cook until translucent and soft,
about 5 minutes. Add the crushes tomatoes and sugar and cook the sauce with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Add parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the meatballs until they are lightly browned. About 4 minutes. ( meatballs will finish cooking in the oven with sauce)
- Place the meatballs in a ovenproof dish. Pour over the tomato sauce and if you want cheese on them it’s time to add. Top with some parsley.
Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes
Recipe adapted from: myfoodpassion