These are soooo cool!!! And the perfect size for a one-bite finger food party, shower or reception. You can also make an adult version using a banana rum or liqueur. You can take some shortcuts with pudding instead of custard if you like, but the custard is worth the work!
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 package vanilla wafer cookies (about 30), crushed
- 1 banana, chopped
For the vanilla custard:
- Whisk 1/2 cup half-and-half with the corn starch in a heat proof medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and set aside.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, the granulated sugar and vanilla beans over medium-low heat until a thin skin forms on the top, about 8 minutes.
- Slowly whisk the hot half-and-half mixture into the egg mixture to temper it. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly until it is just thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the custard into a clean bowl and press plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- For the whipped cream:
- Beat the heavy cream and the confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
For the shooters:
Put 1 teaspoon wafer cookies in the bottom of each shot glass. Top with a few pieces of chopped banana. Top with 1 teaspoon custard. Add a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with crushed cookies or chopped banana. Serve cold.
For an extra treat and a fancier presentation, serve banana slices, lightly toasted and whipped cream.