You may not have one of Benihana’s teppanyaki tables — the flat grill top on which their signature dishes are cooked — at home, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get in on the fun! Check out our recipe that’s inspired by Benihana’s chicken fried rice.
Chicken Fried Rice Inspired by Benihana
Tips:Fried rice tastes best when made from leftover, day-old steamed rice (rather than freshly cooked).
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 4 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons garlic butter, plus more to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Add the safflower oil to a skillet and set over medium heat. Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken (stirring occasionally) until lightly-browned, firm, and opaque throughout. Add the garlic butter and stir to coat the chicken. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, cook the onions, carrots and green onions until softened. Set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, then scramble the eggs (season the raw egg with salt and pepper to taste). Add the rice, soy sauce, sesame seeds, chicken, onions, carrots and green onion to the pan and cook until the rice is warm and browned. Serve hot.