Today we’re taking the classic poke cake to another level. Usually it’s just the cake with some pudding and the artificial whipped topping. We’re going with red velvet, cheesecake pudding, and fresh whipped cream. Oh, and uh, there’s booze in the pudding.
Boozy Red Velvet Poke Cake
Prep Time 30 min
Total Time 3 hr 0 min
- 1 (15.25 oz) red velvet cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant pudding cheesecake or vanilla flavor
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons kirsch/cherry brandy or 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Maraschino cherries for topping slices of cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease the bottom of a 9×13”pan.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, water and cake mix. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake according to directions on box.
- Once baked, let cool for 10 min then use a wooden spoon handle or chopsticks or a ballpoint pen handle to poke a grid of holes all over the cake.
- Combine milk, instant pudding, and kirsch in a large bowl. Once mixed together slowly pour onto cake trying to fill all the holes. Once all the pudding is poured out flatten out all the pudding so it’s evenly dispersed then caver in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cooled.
- To make the topping whip the cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form then spread evenly over cake. Serve topped with a maraschino cherry.
Recipe Image credit: Tablespoon.com