Adorable Button “Cookies “...
These lovely Button Cookies have been in my mind since I saw the picture of them on a Spanish magazine last year. I did my shopping in a hurry at the market and saw these on the cover of a magazine next to the check out just after I made the payment. I loved the idea of button cookies, they were so cute!
These are little vanilla cream cheese button cookies. They’re adorable and I had too much fun with these button cookies! My favorite thing was when my children asked if they could help me to make another “button”-) These cookies are perfect for baby shower or birthday party, holiday gifts and just for fun.
Yield: about 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- assorted colors of paste food coloring
- In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough into two parts. Tint each with a different food color. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove from refrigerator, one color at a time and on a lightly floured surface, roll dough until just over 1/8″ thick.
- Cut 2-inch rounds with round cutter. Next on each round, just in from the edge, mark with a smaller round cutter, approximately 1.5 inches diameter, pressing slightly, but not pushing through. Run a metal spatula underneath the dough, to make sure it is not sticking to the table, sprinkle with flour underneath as necessary.
- With top of a small #3 piping tip (or with straw) cut 2 or 4 holes in the centre of each cookie so it resembles a button, make sure to push down to the counter so the small pieces fall out.
- Lift dough with metal spatula onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a sil-pat, collect scraps and repeat.
- Follow the same method with another color, being sure to clean your work surface between each.
- Refrigerate buttons for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and eat with a perfect cup of tea.