This is one of my new go-to desserts. Without a doubt I will be making this for years to come!
The bananas are soft and sweet, the outside of the cake is perfectly caramelized and sticky, and the cake itself is light and moist.
Here I present this Caramelized Banana Upside Down Cake
PREP TIME 15 mins
COOK TIME 40 mins
TOTAL TIME 55 mins
For the upside down bit
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 bananas, sliced
For the cake
- 1 mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ⅓ cup plain, non-fat greek yogurt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a springform pan with butter. Place pan on top of an aluminum foil-lined cookie sheet to help with drips. Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together and spread evenly along the bottom of the pan.
- Place the sliced bananas on top of the brown sugar mixture in a circular pattern, being careful not to eat them after dipping in the brown sugar. Or eat a few, because carpe diem.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed banana, melted butter, egg, greek yogurt, sugar, and vanilla extract until combined. Stir in the baking powder and salt, then stir in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly on top of the bananas, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top has started to turn golden brown along the edges and the brown sugar and butter bubbles up along the rim of the pan. Mmmmm.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting over a cake tray. Cake is best served warm, possibly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Recipe credit: Broma bakery