How to make Cauliflower Pizza Crust
The kind you can pick up with your hands.
The kind that will fool your family.
The kind you’ll want to eat again and again!
Cutting back on gluten and grains? This veggie-powered pizza needs to make its way to your kitchen. Freshly grated cauliflower serves as the base for the creative and delicious crust that you can fold up just like traditional pizza! The recipe only called for grape tomatoes and fresh basil, but feel free to toss a ton more veggies on this pizza pie to bulk it up a bit. At less than 300 calories for half the pie, this is a pizza recipe you can enjoy sans guilt.
- Nonstick spray
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- basil leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper (I like white pepper)
First preheat oven to 425ºF.
-There are two ways to cook the cauliflower rice – on the stovetop or in the microwave. To cook on the stovetop, fill a large pot with an inch of water and bring it to a boil. Then, add the cauliflower rice, cover the pot, and let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes – draining it into a fine-mesh strainer afterward.
-To cook in the microwave, place the rice cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, let cool after but fluffing the rice every so often.
After straining the cauliflower rice, transfer to a clean, thin dishtowel and twist the towel around the rice to get all the excess moisture out – or, pat the rice firmly with paper towels until all the excess moisture is gone. There’s a surprising amount of moisture in there, but it’ll be worth it to make sure the crust is dry.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix the cooked and drained cauliflower with the egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Top the pizza with 1/4 cup mozzarella, garlic, and tomato sliced .
Add salt and pepper
Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.