This cheesy casserole recipe sneaks cabbage into a flavorful combination of beef, tomatoes and gooey cheeses for a satisfying dish that will have even cabbage-haters asking for seconds.
With just a few basic ingredients and a single skillet, you can have a warm, filling and delicious dinner on the table in less than an hour. Can’t argue with that!
Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
- 1 small head cabbage, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 14 oz of tomatoes on the vine (4 large tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 2 2/3 cups beef broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain off grease. and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cabbage, diced tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook over low / medium heat or until cabbage is tender.
- Add rice and beef broth, increase the heat to medium / high, to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook without uncovering a slow fire 22 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese. Replace the lid and allow the cheese is completely melted about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!