A Delicious recipe for chocolate cake with cherry frosting. Great Christmas Idea!!!
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup cherries,
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch-round cake pans
- Whisk the cocoa powder and 1 1/2 cups boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; set aside. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until combined. Add the eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low; beat in the cocoa mixture in a steady stream until just combined, then finish mixing with a spatula.Divide the batter between the prepared pans and tap the pans against the counter to help the batter settle.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the pans and turn the cakes out onto the racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting. Place cherries in the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until pured with some small pieces left. Use an electric mixer to beat together butter and salt until light and fluffy. Slowly add confectioners sugar and beat until well combined. Add vanilla and cherry puree, mix until just blended.
Recipe credit Grandmotherskitchen