This dish is macaroni cheese with bacon, only with pasta! It’s creamy, cheesy and packed full of flavour. Enjoy as a main course or as a side dish.
- 8 oz dried pasta, any shape
- 2 medium sized chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 3 slices of bacon, cut into small bits or you buy a packet of pancetta pieces
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups semi-skimmed milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tblsp plain flour ( all purpose )
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 slices of Havarti cheese or any grated cheese of your choice on the top
- Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 o F and bring a pan of salted water to the boil for the pasta. Once boiling add to the pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Take off the heat, drain and set aside.
2. In a frying pan cook the onion so that they soften and add the chicken and gently cook until sealed. Now add the bacon and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. Now to make the cheese sauce, make sure your heat is on a low to medium heat/flame. In a pan melt the butter and add the flour and continually stir or whisk. Once you have cooked the flour out for a minute or so, add some of the milk and continually stir or whisk. Keep adding the milk until it is all gone and stir. You will feel the sauce thicken. Once the sauce is thickened add in the cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add your chicken and bacon mixture to the sauce and the pasta and stir so that all the ingredients are coated in the sauce. Now transfer the mixture to a heat proof dish. Sprinkle on your cheese or place the slices of Havarti on the top. Put into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The top should be slightly golden and bubbling.