There is an art to soulful, home cooking. Anyone can make this incredibly succulent country fried steak. Explore the Southern hospitality of your cooking skills and enjoy some country fried steak with those closest to you.
Cracker Barrel Chicken Fried Steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk baking mix (such as the brand Bisquick)
- 2 pounds bottom or top round steak (cut into four individual portions), pounded well to tenderize
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Milk Gravy (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 150 degrees F.
In a shallow pan or plate, sift together flour, salt, and pepper.
In another shallow pan, combine egg and water.
In still another shallow pan, place baking mix. Coat steaks in flour mixture, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with baking mix.
In a large frying pan (I like to use my cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil and heat until a drop of water sizzles. Add coated steak pieces, in batches, and fry 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked (add additional vegetable oil if needed). Remove from pan and keep cooked steaks warm in preheated oven.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil. Put the frying pan back over the heat and make the Milk Gravy.