I love this recipe because I can prepare in advance. Having prepared cooked pasta and homemade sauce, cooked chicken and all this in the refrigerator.
This is pull everything together with cheese and bake !! Nothing easier and more comfortable …
This is my family’s favorite casserole recipe. I make it every week or two and we never tire of it. I like that I can clean my kitchen and then relax while it bakes. It won’t disappoint!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1. In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, process tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender; add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.