When I was younger I used to LOVE a frozen pot pie. You know, the kind that comes in a little red box in the frozen food section? Loved them. But as I got older I realized they were full of calories and fat! Yikes! And some preservatives I didn’t really want either.
So a couple of years ago I went searching for a recipe that I could make at home. I found this one in the 30 Day Gourmet Big Book of Freezer Cooking cookbook and I knew it would be a winner since everything I’d ever made from that book we always loved.
Awhile back I made this for my freezer meal exchange group and they raved about it. Just about everyone wanted a copy of the recipe because their families loved it too! It came in handy too for some friends of ours whose daughter was in the hospital and needed some support during that time (she’s fine now thankfully!)
I love that it uses all fresh ingredients too! It was a cinch to put together and totally worth it because it’s great to be able to pull it out of the freezer and bake it up. Wow! I’m getting hungry just thinking about it—I need to make this again soon!
- Steam 4 carrots and chop.
- Roast fresh corn if desired and get 1/2 cup peas ready.
- Grill 1 pound chicken cutlets in a grill pan with salt/pepper. Cut into small pieces.
- In a pot, melt 4 Tablespoons butter and sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour (I used gluten free flour), stirring to
- combine very well. Cook 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth and 2 Tablespoons heavy cream. Stir to combine and simmer on low to thicken a bit.
- Stir in the carrots, peas, corn kernels if using and chicken. Add salt/pepper.
- Bake in pie crust according to package directions or homemade recipe.