Chipotle Chicken Burritos (Chipotle Mexican Grill copycat)
I love eating out, but hate fast food. Especially when I pay $10 for a something that leaves me feeling like a greasy, gassy slob, ready for a nap.
Chipotle bridges the gap between fast food and lower fat take out meals.
But now that we’ve learned many of Chipotle’s ingredients are made up of GMO products, it makes that much more sense to create these at home with real, honest-to-goodness organic, sustainable ingredients.
Don’t let the number of ingredients scare you away! I promise this will be worth the elbow grease! See?!?! Not too bad, right?
Chipotle Chicken Burritos
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons sauce from the can
- 1 14-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 1/3 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- 1 1/3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Guacamole, for serving (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup pico de gallo, the chopped chipotle, and adobo sauce to taste; cook until the mixture starts to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Add the beans and 3/4 cup water; bring to a low boil, then stir in the chicken and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt.
- Heat the tortillas as the label directs. Arrange the rice horizontally in the lower half of each tortilla, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border on all sides. Top evenly with the cheese, chicken mixture, lettuce and the remaining pico de gallo.
- Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla snugly over the filling, tuck in the sides and roll up tightly. Cut the burritos in half and serve with guacamole.
Per serving: Calories 731; Fat 30 g (Saturated 11 g); Cholesterol 117 mg; Sodium 1,501 mg; Carbohydrate 70 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 43 g