This Six layer Chocolate Cake with vanilla cream filling, chip and chocolate sauce .. really .. is much exquisite chocolate, it’s true. But sometimes we need to give a small gift. Enjoy
Adapted from Salted-Caramel Six-Layer Chocolate Cake by Martha Stewart
For the Cake
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tablepoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For white Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted (more or less for desired consistency)
- 1/3 cup half and half cream (or whole milk or heavy cream) *more or less for desired consistancy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped, melted, and cooled
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: Butter three 9-inch round cake pans, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Sift flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, 1 1/2 cups warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
2 Divide batter among pans. Bake until cakes are set and a toothpick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pans set on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks, and let cool completely.
3 Make the white Filler Frosting : using an electric mixer, cream the butter in a bowl, add the vanilla, and the confectioners’ sugar alternately with the cream, in increments until you reach the desired spreading consistency.
4 Meanwhile, make the frosting: Whisk together cocoa and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water in a bowl until cocoa dissolves. Beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and a generous pinch of coarse salt in a clean bowl with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in melted chocolate and then cocoa mixture until combined. Let stand for 30 minutes before using.
5 Trim tops of cakes using a serrated knife to create a level surface. Cut each in half horizontally to form 2 layers. Transfer 1 layer to a serving platter, and spread 3/4 cup white filler frosting over top. Top with another cake layer, and repeat with remaining white filler frosting and cake layers, leaving top uncovered. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
6 Frosting: Frost top and sides of cake in a swirling motion.
Garnish with grated chocolate, chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles and drizzle with choclate sauce.