This was fantastic..easy to make and such a joy to share with friends and family.
I love these bars and have made them a lot lately. My mother in law in diabetic and so I replaced the semi sweet chocolate and coconut with diabetic chocolate and unsweetened coconut and she loves them so much that when I know she is coming I make them for her.
Makes About 2 dozen bars.
Base Layer of the Macaroon
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bag (7 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In food processor, pulse butter, flour, sugar and salt until mixture begins to form small lumps. Transfer mixture into a 13 x 9 in. pan; press evenly onto the bottom. Bake 15-17 minutes or until just golden. While crust is baking, prepare topping.
- Sprinkle chopped chocolate evenly over the hot crust. Allow it to melt; spread evenly with spatula.
The Topping -(prepare while the bottom layer is in the oven baking)
- In large bowl, whisk together egg whites and sugar until combined well. Stir in flour and coconut.
- Drop small spoonfuls of coconut mixture onto chocolate layer; spread gently.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until top is golden. Cool completely in pan. Cut into bars. Can bestore up to 5 days, covered, at room temperature.