Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Icing
This recipe turned out better than I could have imagined. In fact someone begged for the recipe the day after I made it! I wrote it down in haste and ended up giving them the only written copy. Fortunately she copied it for me and emailed it back, so now I can share it with everyone. Hope you enjoy it!Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Try different kinds of nuts to mix things up, let me know how it goes!
Serves 10 inch 2 layer cake
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook time: nut bake 25/cake bake 25
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Recipe from: Napoleongrills
- 1 lb. of raw peanuts
- 1 tbsp. Bone Dust BBQ Seasoning 1 tbsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 11⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips or chopped baker’s chocolate 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 13⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Start by making the nuts. Preheat the grill to 400°F, setting up for indirect cooking. Place your peanuts on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with the Bone Dust and Salt.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they are golden brown and are more crunchy than creamy.
- When the nuts are done, turn the grill down to 350°F.
- Set a small pot on the stove with some water in it and set it to boil. You need to use a metal bowl or another small pot that fits over top of the boiling pot as a double boiler.
- While the double boiler is heating, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla.
- When your boiler is ready, melt the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips or baker’s chocolate and the 1/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth. Add this into the egg mixture.
- Sift together the flour, salt, soda, and cocoa powder, then add this to the batter, alternating between the flour mixture and the sour cream. Fold in the additional chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between two well greased cake pans. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set them aside to cool.
- Combine all the icing ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth and entirely combined.
- Place one of the cooled cakes onto a cake plate or your serving dish and ice the top of it. Chop the nuts that you roasted earlier and sprinkle them over the iced layer of cake. Top with the second cake layer and ice the rest of the cake.
- You can also top with more chopped nuts, shaved chocolate, whipped cream and chocolate ganache