Making Chocolate Turtles couldn’t be easier or more fun! They make fabulous gifting and holiday candy. Homemade pecan turtle candies come together quickly using the microwave to melt the caramel and chocolate.
The layers of crisp pecans, chewy caramel, and creamy chocolate are addicting. I just love the sweet and salty combo! These homemade turtles have the perfect chocolate to caramel ratio, just like the ones you can buy at a candy store. Homemade always tastes better!
These homemade turtles are no-bake, easy, ready in under a half-hour, and you only need 4 ingredients. You can put a batch of these together pretty quickly. There is cooling time but you certainly don’t have to be present for that.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE TURTLES
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Melted caramel on pretzels
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE TURTLES
Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Arrange your pecans to form an X so they look like turtles feet.
Melt caramels with 2 tablespoons of water in the microwave using short intervals and stirring frequently.
Scoop a tablespoon of melted caramel over the pecans.
Allow it to set for a few minutes.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over the caramel and pecans.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Bring to room temperature to serve.
How to Make Chocolate Turtles
To store: Place turtles in an airtight container and store them at room temp for up to 3 weeks. Just make sure to keep them in a cool, dry place so that the chocolate doesn’t start to melt!
To freeze: Add to a freezer container with a piece of wax paper in between each layer of candies. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Making Chocolate Turtles couldn’t be easier! Pecan turtle candies come together quickly melting caramel and chocolate.
- 2 medium microwave safe bowls
- 2 spoons
- Parchment Paper
- baking sheet
- 6 ounces pecan halves
- 8 ounces soft caramels
- 2 TBS water
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the pecans in clusters of four, touching in the center and pointing out in opposite directions, like turtle legs.
- Unwrap soft caramels and place into a medium bowl with 2 Tablespoons water. Microwave on high for 30 second increments, stirring after each time. Continue until caramel is fully melted, about 2 minutes. Stir with a spoon and allow to cool just slightly.
- Add one dollop, about a Tablespoon in size, to the center of the pecans.
- In another medium bowl add the chocolate chips and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in-between until smooth.
- Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over the caramel and pecans, using the back of the spoon to spread out the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring to room temperature to serve.