A flavorful homemade recipe for those who are tired of sweet pasta sauces. Serve over your favorite pasta with a tossed green salad and crusty garlic bread
Chunky Italian Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
Prep 30 m
Cook 3 h
Ready In 3 h 30 m
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cups chicken or beef broth
- Removed casing from sausage links and cut into 1/2 inch slices. In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat ground beef, olive oil, garlic, bell pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is nicely browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Pour in tomatoes and tomato sauce; mix in salt, ground black pepper, basil, oregano, chopped parsley, bay leaf and cooked sausage. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Stir in broth and bring to boil, reduce the heat and continue to simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- You can use immediately on some delicious pastas. Or store in jars.