Classic American Buttercream frosting. Versatile, delicious vanilla buttercream frosting! This recipe uses powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk. This is a great recipe for decorating and piping on cupcakes and cake.
Classic Buttercream Frosting
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 3 mins
Total time: 5 mins
Serves: 2.5 CUPS
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
- 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- With a stand-up mixer, Beat butter for a few minutes medium speed.
- Gradually add half your confectioners sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter.
- Add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the rest of your confectioner sugar; beat until well mixed
- If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add more sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.