Classic Chicken and Rice Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken breast tenders on the grill pan and cook about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked completely through. Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into ½-inch pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook 5 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
3. Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables in the pot, and add the rice, rosemary, and black pepper.
4. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer just long enough to warm the chicken.