Coconut Shrimp That’d Make Bubba Gump Proud
Crisp, airy, and coconut-rich, this deep-fried shrimp recipe inspired by Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. will satisfy cravings and would’ve made Bubba proud. Watch the video to see just how easy it is to make.
Bubba Gump’s Dumb Luck Coconut Shrimp
- Yield 1 to 2 servings
- Cook Time 20 minutes
For the shrimp:
- 1/2 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup Bisquick
- 3/4 cup hefeweizen beer, such as Blue Moon
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Oil, for frying
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning, or to taste
- Make the shrimp: Rinse shrimp under cold water, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add pancake mix and beer to a shallow bowl, and stir until smooth. In another shallow bowl, mix together the flour, seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Add the coconut to a third shallow bowl. Using the tail as a handle, dip the shrimp into the flour mixture, and shake off any excess. Then dip it into the batter and dredge it in coconut. Repeat with all of the shrimp.
- Fry the shrimp in 350°F oil for 45 to 60 seconds on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
- Make the dipping sauce: Mix together the orange marmalade and cajun seasoning, adding more cajun seasoning to taste, if desired. Serve with shrimp.