Creamy Cole Slaw
Coleslaw, sometimes simply called slaw in some American dialects, is a salad consisting primarily of shredded raw cabbage, which is dressed with mayonnaise and/or buttermilk in some variations and dressed with vinegar and seasoning (without any dairy or mayonnaise) in other, lighter variations. Cream or sour cream may by used as the dressing and vinegar may be added. It may also include shredded carrots as well as other fruits and vegetables such as apples, onions, radishes, and peppers. Horseradish, seeds, and various spices may be included.
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture.
- Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.