The Chips On Top Are Just The Tip Of The Iceberg…This Taco Casserole Is Loaded With Flavor!!!
Creamy Taco Casserole
Creamy Tacos Casserole is a family tradition at least three generations old. Originally called simply “Cream Tacos,” I revised the name to give a better description of this yummy comfort food that we’ve adapted over the years.
Creamy Tacos Casserole is a great dish to bring over to a friend who just had a baby or a neighbor who is sick. We have also made it in quantity for family reunions and for company. It’s a crowd-pleaser and always has people asking for the recipe.
Filled with beef, onion, corn and chilies, we added a spicy, creamy dip-like sauce on top (which we’d eat out of a bowl, no questions asked) and topped this bad boy off with Doritos, which add the perfect amount of crunch. When we say this stuff is good, we mean it…try it and see for yourself!
Creamy Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 (14 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 (4 oz.) can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 (1.25 oz) packet taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Doritos or plain tortilla chips, as needed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon, and sautè onions until softened and tender.
- Return beef to skillet and season with taco seasoning, salt and pepper, then add green chilies and corn kernels to the skillet.
- Transfer mixture to a large baking dish (9×13 or 11×15) and stir in cheese, salsa and chicken soup.
In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream and chili powder until smooth, then spread mixture over the beef and vegetables.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, then remove and gently push chips into the cream cheese surface.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from 12 tomatoes