How To Make Crispy Onion Rings
Our Crispy Onion Rings recipe is a perennial fast-food favourite. These deep-fried onion rings are guaranteed to turn out crisp on the outside but tender within. So we hope you enjoy making our Crispy Onion Rings recipe.
Prep = 10m
Cook = 10m
Total = 20m
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 2 2⁄3 oz flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of paprika
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 ¼ fl oz milk
- 2 1⁄8 pt vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Before you begin making your onion rings, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Allow it to heat up hot enough to fry, but not to smoke.
- As the oil is heating, cut the onions into circular slices of about 1cm thick, using a large knife. Now separate them into rings and place them on a tray.
Step 4: Mix the dry ingredients
- Combine the flour, corn starch, baking powder, paprika, sugar, salt and the pepper in a bowl and with a whisk, stir it together briefly.
- Add the eggs to the milk and whisk together.
Then pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and combine it together with your whisk until you are left with a lump free smooth batter.
- To check that the oil is hot enough to fry, carefully drop a battered onion into the hot oil. The oil should fry it lightly and take time to brown it. Therefore, the onion will be cooked through and the batter will be super crispy. Now gently dip some of the onions into the batter and coat well. Then place them into the hot oil using a fork.
Let them cook in small batches, so they won’t stick together. When they are fried on one side, turn them over to fry and brown on the other side. The process takes about 3 minutes. When are they are lightly golden, place onto a tray lined with kitchen paper to drain.
- Just before serving, season with some salt and serve your perfect crispy onion rings, immediately. They go very well as a side-dish with steaks and hamburgers or even as a snack all on their own.
Recipe from: videojug