To me, the classic macaroni & cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Its creamy cheesy sauce and crunchy breadcrumb topping echo all things comfort and homeliness. Really, macaroni & cheese, is the food equivalent of a cuddle from mum.
Crunchy mac & cheese with bacon
from:Mylovelylittlelunchbox Adapted from Delicious Magazine, June 2013
- 3 rashers bacon
- 400 grams short pasta (macaroni, penne or rollini)
- 50 grams butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 250 grams strong cheddar, grated
- ½ cup pure cream
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place bacon on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast for 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked. Cut into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour, then cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes . In 5 batches, whisk in the milk until smooth. Stir in 200 grams of cheddar, cream and nutmeg. Season to taste. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine, then transfer to an oven proof dish.
- In a bowl combine cooked bacon, parsley, breadcrumbs and remaining cheese and toss to combine. Sprinkle over pasta. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Enjoy!