Dark Chocolate Cake With Marshmallow Frosting
As you can imagine, a chocolate scratch cake with a marshmallow type frosting is a BIG kid favorite and has been made for countless kid parties where even crumbs are hard to come by afterward. More than a few adults I know love it as much as the kids. When it comes to standard recipes at our house, this one is unquestionably in the top 10.
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line (one) 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the bottom and sides with a little butter. Set aside. You will be cutting 3 layers from this one cake.
- To make the cake, Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the buttermilk.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the melted chocolate to the cake batter and pour it into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the pan and cool completely before cutting into three layers.
- To make the frosting, Place all ingredients except the vanilla into a bowl which you can place over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk the egg white mixture constantly over simmering water until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot to the touch.
- Pour the mixture into a bigger bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla .
- Pipe marshmallow frosting onto and betweek cake layers.