deep fried birthday cake are like a birthday party!!!
Listen, all I have to say is that I think this is the best thing I’ve ever eaten. Like, so, so good. The buttery, cake batter-flavored dough encased in a thin, crispy shell was surprisingly light and pop-able. Despite being indulgent, it didn’t feel heavy or overwhelming (of course, I couldn’t resist “dressing it up” a little — see under the cut, below).
I don’t deep fry often and this is definitely a “once in a blue moon” indulgence, but the taste was so mind-blowing that it was worth the effort and the calories :) It’s a must-eat!!
Recipe adapted: Willow Bird Baking (cake batter cookie dough) and Taylor Takes a Taste (deep frying)
Yields: about 12 fried dough balls, depending on size
Deep Fried birthday cake
- 1 box of your fave cake mix
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
- Frosting of your choice for dipping
- Sprinkles for sprinkling
- Mix up the cake batter according to the box instructions, and add in one extra cup of flour
- Scoop approx. one tablespoon of the batter and drop it gently into the hot (350 degree) oil…
- Fry them up until they’re golden on all sides…
- Let them cool on some paper towel…
- Top them with some fun sprinkles…