What? fried ice cream?
I have not gone crazy, YES! Fried ice cream. Combination hot and cold. The hot crispy crust and creamy filling cold make this dessert a delight.
Fried ice cream is a dessert made ??from a scoop of ice cream breaded That is quickly deep-fried creating a warm, crispy shell around the still-cold ice cream, has probably been around since the late 1800s, although the origins are a little obscure. It’s a treat that involves what seems impossible––placing a frozen treat into boiling oil and keeping it intact. Fortunately, the impossible works and the result is a truly delicious indulgence that is ideal for dessert, parties and festivals alike. If you’ve been used to ordering this dessert treat when eating out, be reassured that it’s easy enough to make at home too, and it’ll taste just as good.
4 to 6 servings
- 1 pint ice cream, any flavor
- 1 loaf sliced white bread
- 6 to 8 cups canola oil, for frying
- Pancake mix just add water
- Place a plate or sheet pan in the freezer and let it chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, make balls of ice cream and place them on the sheet pan then return them to the freezer. 2 hours
- Cut the crusts off the sliced bread and using about 2 slices per ice cream ball and flatten with a rolling pin, form the bread around the ice cream using your hands to pack it like a snow ball. Once it’s completely covered return it to the freezer. 2 hours (this has to be like a rock)
- Prepare Pancake mix just add water, dip the balls into the mix .. see picture.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 3 inches of canola oil to 365 degrees F. Drop the covered ice cream balls, one at a time, into the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally so they color evenly, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from oil and briefly drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with the one you like (caramel, chocolate, chocolate chips or Strawberry jam). Serve immediately.
Step by Step Image