Deep-Fried Mashed Potatoes
Yeah, you can tell these are good just by looking at them. Serve them as a side or an appetizer.
I found the original recipe over at Copy Kat’s.
Makes: 12 rolls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled, and chopped into 1″ cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Put potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well then place into a large bowl.
- Smash potatoes with a masher. Add butter, cream, and salt and pepper to taste and mix.
- Add all but a few tablespoons of the green onions (reserving the rest for garnish) along with the bacon to the potatoes. Also add 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Whisk the egg with one tablespoon water.
- Lay out wrappers and add potatoes (about 2-3 tablespoons at a time). Roll up and secure ends with egg wash.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep fryer to 350 F. Add rolls in batches and cook until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve rolls topped with remaining cheese and green onions and sour cream for dipping.