The family requests this all the time. It is easy for my husband to make when I have to work late. A simple recipe for delicious oven-baked easy beef chimichangas.
Easy Beef Chimichangas
30 minutes to prepare
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 can black beans, 16 ounces, drained
- 1 can red enchilada sauce, 10 ounce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 jar salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- 1 quart cooking oil
- Add the ground beef and chopped onion to a frying pan over medium heat. Use a spatula to chop the beef into small pieces as it browns.
- Drain the beef and add the black beans, cheddar cheese and enchilada sauce to the pan. Mix the filling to combine.
- Spoon one-sixth of the filling into a tortilla. Fold one side over the filling, then fold both ends inward. Roll the tortilla so the filling is enclosed, and secure the end in place with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Add the oil to a deep frying pan to a 1-inch depth, and heat to 375º F.
- Place two prepared chimichangas in the pan gently to avoid splashing the hot oil. Fry for two minutes per side, remove from the oil, and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Repeat until all are cooked.
- Garnish with salsa, fresh cilantro and lime slices. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes