And no, I’m not referring to the icky stuff from the can. I’m talking about Mom’s homemade, warm, savory, absolutely delicious vegetable beef soup. YUM. I’ve discovered that this retro soup is fondly referred to around here as “steak soup”. But whatever you call it — it’s still a favorite!
Portions: 6 servings
Cook time: 1 1/2 hours
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Calories Portions: 457
- 2 lbs ground beef
- olive oil
- 6 Yukon potatoes, diced
- 8 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bag frozen green beans
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
1. Heat some olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add the ground beef and brown. Remove and set aside.
3. Add some more olive oil to the same pot. Add the celery, onion, potatoes, and carrots and sauté until the onions are translucent.
4. Add back the ground beef. Pour in the beef stock, water, tomatoes, frozen green beans, frozen corn and bay leaves.
5. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for an hour.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve!