One of my favorites. Fresh ripe bananas, rich vanilla cream, fresh whipped cream or a fluffy meringue. Topped with sliced almonds.
- 1 (9 inch size) pie crust, baked and cooled
- 2 Fresh ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1/4 cup soft beaten cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/8 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Fresh Whipped Cream Topping
- 3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium sauce pan ( about 2 quart) mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, evaporated milk and whole milk. Cook over medium heat, It is important constant stirring to avoid lumps form. When the mixture boils, cook for 1 minute, no more. Remove from heat and continue beating for 5 minutes
this prevents the eggs are set, then cook them completely
- Slowly pour half of the hot mixture in to eggs and stir until that mixture is completely incorporated. Then pour the egg mixture in to the pot with the other half of pudding and continue to cook on medium heat until it reaches boiling stage again.
- Add cream cheese and with a hand mixer, I mix the cheese very well.
Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter, keep using the hand mixer until all is blended.
- Let stand for 15 minutes pudding
After 15 minutes pour half of pudding in pie shell and layer with bananas and then pour remaining pudding on top. When the cake has cooled completely covered with whipped cream and garnish with sliced almonds.
- For Whipped Topping: Pour cream into a well-chilled glass or metal bowl and beat until soft peaks form gradually add powder sugar until all has been blended and then add vanilla slowly until it has also been blended . Mixture should have stiff peaks. The whipped cream may be put into a pastry bag and used for that added effect.