This is a wonderful recipe for parties and get togethers of all kinds and they always disappear so fast! You can use them as an appetizer or a meal served over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. I hope that y’all enjoy these yummy meat balls.
French Onion Smothered Meatballs
- Prep 30 m
- Cook 1 h
- Ready In 1 h 30 m
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pkg dry onion soup mix
- 1 can(s) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can(s) creamy onion soup
- 1 can(s) water
- 2 tablespoons browning sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, green pepper, onion, eggs, browning sauce, seasoned bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Shape the meat mixture into large meatballs about 2 inches in diameter. Place about 1 inch apart on a large, shallow baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. While meatballs are baking, start the sauce.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, whisk together soup mix, soups and water. When the meatballs have finished baking, remove them from the baking sheet and place them into the soup mixture. Stir in the meatballs to coat. Return to the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until sauce begins to bubble.
Tips: This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled if you need to make a lot for a party or other get together.
The frozen meatballs saves time and is very easy. I prefer the Great Value (Walmart) brand over the others that I’ve tried. Enjoy!