Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Fried Apples
I just love the fried apples at Cracker Barrel, Going to Cracker Barrel reminds me of enjoying old-style home cooking, and their fried apples remind me of growing up.
This fried apples recipe makes a great side dish for almost any pork recipe (there is just something about pork & apples that just works!) or you can use this recipe in place of canned apple pie filling in my caramel apple cheesecake recipe or would make a great topping for French Toast
One thing is for certain: your house will be smelling fresh and full of apple-cinnamon goodness when you prepare these.
You will need:
- 8 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp freshly juiced lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Toss apples with lemon juice to coat. This will help prevent browning.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir and cook until bubbling.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook until apples are tender.
Serve and enjoy!