Possibly The Most Addicting Thing On The Planet, Fritos Are The Icing On The Cake For This Casserole…
You’ll love this Taco-Frito Casserole with a twist, or should I say a “curl”? Filled with all the irresistible flavors of Mexico, made better with the addition of one of America’s favorite snacks. The Frito Corn Chips are what make this casserole so mouth-wateringly delicious. A simple way to spice up an old favorite. Be prepared, you’re family will request this Taco-Frito Casserole time and time again!
Frito Taco Casserole
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- 1 (4 oz.) can mild green chiles, diced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, or Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups Fritos (or corn chips of your choice), divided
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef until cooked through and no longer pink.
Drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon, and sauté onions until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and add taco seasoning. Return beef to pan, then add salsa, chiles and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in rice, cheddar cheese, and refried beans, and transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup Fritos and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and dish is warmed through.
Remove from oven, top with remaining Fritos and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from 12 tomatoes