This was my grandmother’s apple pie recipe. I have never seen another one quite like it. It will always be my favorite and has won me several first place prizes in local competitions. I hope it becomes one of your favorites as well!
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (your favorite recipe)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In saucepan on low medium heat and melt butter
- Stir in flour and form a paste.
- Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan (previously greased or with spray oil).
- Fill with apples.
- Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.