This is my grandmother’s cornbread recipe and it’s the best – sweet and moist!
The recipe is fantastic as written,
But you can do it with some changes nearly guilt free!
* Splenda/Stevia instead of sugar
* Whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose
* Smart Balance Light instead of butter
* Sour skim milk instead of buttermilk
Sounds like a lot of substitutions, but the end result is absolutely delicious!
Grandma Buttermilk Cornbread
- Prep 15 m
- Cook 40 m
- Ready In 55 m
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
- Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Optional add ins
1. Toasted walnuts and dried cranberries
2. Cheddar cheese, bacon and scallions
3. Diced chilis and cheddar cheese
4 Roasted red peppers