We Love Olive Garden’s Grilled Bell Pepper Sausage Rustica So Much That We Recreated It At Home! Here’s The Recipe!
Grilled Bell Pepper Sausage Rustica
- 1 pound rigatoni or penne or ziti pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can Italian plum tomatoes, with juices
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to packaging directions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat and cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove and let cool 2-3 minutes, then slice sausage into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Add another 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and add onion and peppers. Cook until translucent and softened.
- During the last 1-2 minutes of cooking the veggies, add garlic and cook until fragrant. Then return sliced sausage to pan and toss together.
- Pour in tomatoes and chopped basil and use a wooden spoon to break tomatoes up into smaller pieces.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir in mozzarella.
- Toss everything together to combine and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Olive Garden At Home