Grilled Honey-Mustard Chicken Sandwiches. This is no plain old grilled chicken breast sandwich. Brushing on a seasoned honey-mustard baste turns the ordinary into something special.
Ready for a great sandwich? These gilled honey mustard chicken sandwiches are delicious and perfect for the weekend grill.
This Honey Mustard Chicken Grilled Chicken breast recipe is a household favorite! Chicken marinates in a flavorful sauce and yields succulent chicken breasts perfect for sandwiches or topping a salad.
I know my farm friends are always looking for on the go meals, so you’re gonna love this recipe.
Options are limitless. Make this chicken and serve on a roll to your favorite farmer. Eating at home? Chop tender, cooked chicken up and serve it over a salad.
No matter how you make it, just make it!
One of the reasons I love cooking with chicken is it’s so diverse. It takes on flavors beautifully in this recipe, too.
The honey mustard sauce reminds me of the chicken nugget sauce at Wendy’s. I told our teenage daughter that and she looked at me like I was from another planet.
You decide and let me know.
Easy Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Our Latest Recipes
Our homemade and super easy honey mustard sauce recipe was such a hit that we wanted to figure out a way to eat more of it. (don’t worry, I put the complete recipe at the end of the article, just print it !) We grilled some fabulous chicken breast and doused it with a healthy portion of this amazing honey mustard sauce. The results were a fantastic grilled chicken sandwich that everyone in the test kitchen loved. This is truly one of the easiest chicken sandwiches to make because not only is the marinade for the chicken delicious, the honey mustard sauce added another layer of amazing flavor.
Best Burger Buns or Breads
- You can use burger buns, which is the most popular. Sesame burger buns are great!
- toasted sourdough bread is also fantastic
- hoagie style deli rolls are soft and tender
- try making this sandwich out of pita bread!
- What ever you choose, this sandwich is truly going to be on the top of your list.
We’ve used this sauce on smoked pork ribs and it was excellent! When the sauce cooked down on to the pork ribs, the flavor intensified and was a surprise hit. Not only is this sauce versatile, it’s delicious when freshly made and even more awesome when cooked down on bbq. Try adding this sauce to a vegetable stir fry and you have so many tremendous ways to use up your favorite honey mustard sauce.
Make It Into a Freezer Meal
If you’re making one batch of this recipe for today, we always say “why not make two and freeze one for later?” There’s not much to it, if you want to make this a freezer meal for later.
Freeze For Later: On a cutting board, cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, creating thin chicken cutlets. To do this, place your palm firmly on top of the chicken breast and slice with a sawing motion in half using a sharp chef’s knife. Add the chicken to a gallon-sized freezer bag along with the Honey Dijon Chicken Marinade. Seal and toss gently to make sure the chicken is covered in the marinade. Label and freeze the chicken/marinade, along with a bag of the cheese, a bag of the cooked bacon, and the pretzel buns.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the meal kit. Remove the chicken to a plate and pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce to a simmer for about 3-5 minutes, until thickened slightly. Strain out any solids and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, grill the chicken according to the recipe instructions and then build the sandwiches.
How to Make It Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free
Do you have gluten-free and/or dairy-free eaters in your home? No problem. This sandwich can meet either dietary need.
Gluten-Free Substitutions: Replace the buns with Gluten-Free buns or rolls. Or, omit the bun and serve over quinoa, rice, or couscous with a drizzle of the sauce.
Dairy-Free Substitutions: Omit the cheese or use a dairy-free cheese. Add a little mayo to the bun to replace some of the richness from the cheese.
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound 454 g chicken breasts , cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons 30 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon 5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon 2.5 ml salt , or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 4 burger buns
- Lettuce and other sandwich condiments desired pickles, mayo, pepperoncinis, etc…
For the Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup 60 g mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup 60 g dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup 85 g honey (or start with less if you want it less sweet, then add more if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon 15 ml apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon 1.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon 0.75 ml paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Whisk the honey mustard sauce ingredients in a bowl (mayonnaise, dijon mustard, honey, vinegar, cayenne pepper and paprika) until sauce is smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- In bowl or plastic bag combine chicken breasts, olive oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Shake bag to make sure all the marinade gets evenly mixed and coated over the chicken. For best flavor, marinade the chicken for at least 25 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the grill and grill the chicken breasts on both sides until cooked. Make the sandwich spooning the sauce over the cooked chicken breast and adding whatever sandwich condiments you like.
For the Honey Mustard Sauce
- Whisk the honey mustard sauce ingredients in a bowl (mayonnaise, dijon mustard, honey, vinegar, cayenne pepper and paprika) until sauce is smooth and combined.