Make crusty turkey-and-cheese panini with an Italian edge thanks to artichoke hearts and a schmear of pesto mayo. Try it as a surprising new use for those turkey leftovers!
Prep Time 45 min
Total Time 45 min
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 16 slices crusty Italian bread
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 8 slices cooked turkey (3/4 lb)
- 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
- 3 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, sliced
- 8 slices (1 oz each) Fontina or provolone cheese
- In small bowl, mix mayonnaise and pesto.
- Spread 1 side of each bread slice with butter. Turn bread slices butter sides down; spread other sides with 1 tablespoon pesto mixture each. Top 8 bread slices with turkey, artichokes, tomatoes and cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, butter sides up.
- In sandwich grill or 12-inch skillet, cook sandwiches over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.