Have you been looking for a healthy homemade chicken nuggets recipe that compares to the texture of the frozen ones?
Here a recipe for healthy and fresh meals you can make to add variety into your family’s lunches and meals. Unlike store-bought lunches, they allow flexibility in portioning and choice of sides so you can customize each lunch to suit your family’s tastes and appetites.
Tip : Bake a whole batch of these chicken nuggets ahead of time, then store in the freezer in an airtight bag or container. Warm a serving in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to thaw before packing lunch. Fast & delicious!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets Recipe
For about 24 nuggets
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning, divided (optional) sub paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, oatmeal, half the grated parmesan (1/8 cup), half the Zatarain’s seasoning (or paprika) (1/2 teaspoon), garlic powder and pepper. Knead dry ingredients into ground chicken.
- Moisten hands to prevent sticking and form 1 tablespoon of chicken mixture into a ball. Press into a cookie cutter for shaped nuggets or flatten with fingers for a basic nugget shape.
- In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with remaining Zatarain’s seasoning and grated parmesan.
- Press nuggets into bread crumb mixture and turn over, patting crumbs into surface to coat evenly.
–At this point you can freeze– or
- To bake: Preheat oven to 375° F. Arrange nuggets on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Lightly spray nuggets themselves with cooking spray or olive oil for a crispier coating (optional). Bake 15-20 minutes, turning once, and checking – don’t overcook! These baked nuggets will not really brown (unless you pan fry in oil) – if browning is desired, place under broiler for a couple of minutes at the end of cooking.