How to make Simple Homemade Goulash
This is a simple and delicious, perfect for any season, made with meat, tomato and your favorite pasta stew. Loaded with flavor! you can freeze and use in the week.
Makes about 8-10 servings.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb stewing beef (I used boneless blade roast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 onions, peeled and diced
- a few garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced or whole plum tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) beef stock (use low-sodium stock, if using store bought)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups your favorite pasta (uncooked)
- In a large heavy skillet set over medium-high heat, sauté the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off most of the bacon fat (if there is a lot) and brown meat and onions.
- Add the stock and tomatoes, bacon, garlic cloves, thyme, italian seasoning and bay leaves. Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir to mix everything together and put the lid on your pan and cook for 25 minutes.
Add pasta and simmer for another 20-25 minutes over low heat. Let it sit about 30 minutes with the heat off. Remove bay leaves before serving. Enjoy!
Freeze in airtight containers.