Hot dogs wrapped in a pretzel are a perfect snack. Perfect for Super Bowl parties or the weekend tailgate! A little something different using your favorite can of beer instead of water! Delicious!
Note: In our family we prefer to stay away from salt. But if you want you can sprinkle with salt pretzels.
Homemade Pretzel Dogs
Portion: 8 servings
Cook time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 90 minutes
- 1 1/2 warm water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 Kosher hot dogs
1. In a stand mixer combine that sugar, water, and yeast. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
2. Use a spoon paddle, mix in the salt, butter and flour. Replace with a dough hook. On medium speed run the dough hook until the dough becomes smooth.
3. Take the dough out of the mixing bowl and place it in a bowl greased with butter.
4. Cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm spot. Allow to rise for 50-70 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Flip the dough out onto a floured surface. Use your hands to punch down the dough. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Use your hands to roll the pieces into 20inch long logs. Wrap each dough piece tightly around the hotdogs.
6. Bring the water and baking soda to a boil in a medium saucepan.
7. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
8. Drop each of the dough wrapped pretzels in the boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Remove from the water and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. After the pretzel dogs are cooked allow to cool on a wire rack before serving. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping.