Homemade Soft Pretzels. A pretzel (German: Brezel) is a type of baked bread product made from dough most commonly found in a unique knot-like shape, often claimed to represent hands in prayer. Pretzels originated in Europe, most likely among monasteries in the Early Middle Ages. The traditional pretzel shape is a distinctive symmetrical looped form, with the ends of a long strip of dough intertwined and then twisted back into itself in a certain way (“a pretzel loop”). Now, pretzels of various shapes are available around the world. Salt is the most common seasoning for pretzels, complementing the baking soda that gives pretzels their traditional “skin” and flavor through the Maillard reaction; other seasonings include sugars, glazes, seeds, and/or nuts.
Homemade Soft Pretzels
Makes 8 pretzels
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp dried yeast (1 package)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tbs baking soda
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- salt for sprinkling
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tbs light mayonnaise
- 2 tbs grainy mustard
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 3 1/2 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Get a Coupon for Healthier Pasta
1. First, combine warm water, sugar and instant dried yeast in a small bowl. Cover and let sit for five minutes, until the mixture is frothy. Meanwhile, combine flour and salt in your electric mixer bowl. Once your yeast mixture is frothy, add it to the flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Then, using the dough hook attachment, knead for five minutes. Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 30 – 40 minutes.
2. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into eight equal pieces. Preheat your oven to 400 deg F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper (or just grease them). In a small bowl, combine warm water and baking soda. On a greased surface, make your pretzels. Dip each pretzel into the baking soda and water mixture, then place them onto your prepared baking sheets and cover them, let rise for another 10 minutes.
3. Bake the pretzels for about 10 minutes, until they are golden brown on top. Once they are done, brush them with melted butter and sprinkle them with salt.
4. To make the honey mustard dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients with a whisk and chill for a couple of minutes. You can adjust the amounts of honey and mustard to suit your taste. Eat the pretzels warm dipped in the delicious sauce!